Reboot loop after running "cleanup" (RESOLVED)

undersaur

I couldn't get my newly installed PS1Digital to connect to my Wi-Fi network, searched for answers, found this citrus3000psi post that suggested running cleanup, and did it. Now I get no signal on boot. (Edit: Actually, it's a reboot loop with a video signal. I couldn't see video output probably because I had a funky display setup with a capture card.) I searched and found that cleanup leads to a boot loop, which was fixed in a subsequent firmware version. Sigh.

What should I do now? I'm technical but have no soldering experience.

Last edited:

undersaur

Bump. I'm getting no signal (edit: actually a reboot loop, with video signal) from the PS1Digital after running "cleanup."

Is there a way to reinstall firmware manually at home? Or if that's not straightforward, can I send it to someone who has that capability?

Last edited:

undersaur

Bump. It's been about a month. I've tried both this forum and the BDT contact form, but I still don't have any confirmation about how to fix my PS1Digital. In the mean time, my PS1, XStation, and 8bitmods memory card are also unusable. I appreciate that everyone's busy, Covid/quarantine piles a lot on top of that, and I'm not in an urgent hurry anyway. But I don't want to be stuck with a brick forever, and I'd love to experience this advanced PS1 setup everyone's been tweeting about. If I'm the issue is that I'm being unreasonable or inconsiderate, or that I'm not seeking help in the right way, I'd love to know so I can adjust accordingly.

I connected directly to a TV and was able to observe a video signal and reboot loop over both composite and HDMI output, so at least 1) the PS1 and PS1Digital aren't totally dead, and 2) the behavior is consistent with other stuff I've found about the "cleanup" reboot loop. The relevant-looking parts of the image I see briefly say:
Firmware Reflash
FPGA firmware was flashed by SPI_check
256x240p->1080p ------ v1.0.8
Is there a way I can fix this by myself without soldering? If not, who would have the know-how to fix it (for a reasonable fee, of course)?

undersaur

Hi, in case anyone runs into the same thing, I was able to resolve this by doing a manual firmware update with an ESP-Prog.

PS1Digital manual firmware install instructions

If you're a n00b like me, these supplemental notes might be helpful:
  • Took me some research to figure out how to connect an ESP-Prog to the PS1Digital board. I eventually bought a 1x6 2.54mm header (wire crimp to M) and a 2x3 2.54 mm header (wire crimp to F) since I couldn't find a good way to connect with the 1.27mm headers on the ESP-Prog's included cables. In hindsight, some 2.54mm M-to-F jumper wires might have sufficed and saved me a bunch of crimping.
  • Needed to install the "serial" Python module. From the Windows command line, after installing Python and adding it to my path: python -m pip install pyserial
  • Needed to identify the COM port associated with the ESP-Prog's USB connection. I found it by digging through devices in the Windows Device Manager > Ports (COM & LPT), and finding the one with an "Events" tab that described installing drivers around when I plugged the device in.
  • Needed to press the boot button on the ESP-Prog before the install script could connect with the PS1Digital's ESP32 and install.