PS1Digital blinked to a screen with only red colors now stuck...

futurevoid

Hi all,

I just had the PS1Digtial installed by a iFixRetro (who did my DCDigital install, too) as I don't have the skill to do it myself and I received the console back a few days ago. It's installed along with the X-Station. Anyways, I was playing some “In The Hunt“ on the SD card and I brought up the OSD to adjust some scanline settings and I saved and close out of the menu. I rebooted the system to get back to the X-Station menu to switch out games and after a few seconds, the image lost all color except for red. I tried booting up a game and it displayed fine but the image was 100% red. I was obviously concerned so I went ahead and turned the system off completely, gave it about 10 seconds and it booted up fine but the image was flickering/shaking like it was stuck in some 480i mode and the scanlines are gone.

Long story short, now I can't bring up the OSD menu at all to make any adjustments. I'm hitting the right combination (L2, R2, Start, Square and X) and nothing happens. It just inputs the controller commands. I’ve tried booting into the X-Station or right into the PSX bios by removing the SD. It doesn’t matter. I thought maybe I had forced the VGA mode or something accidentally given the flickering but again, the combination to force or unforce that isn't working either. I get no options at all! I tried pressing and holding the reset button to see if I get a pattern but all I get is a flat green screen (see attachment). I also tried an alternate TV. I get the same thing.

I'm at a loss here. Any advice/help? I was/am running the latest firmware and the unit was connected via WiFi previously as well.
I'm fairly technical but hardly knowledgeable about this so any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

Last edited:

Yon702

Hmmm would you be able to have any pics of the install at all?

Also a multimeter would also help a little bit.

You could try to reseat all the ffc cables.

futurevoid

Here are some images of the install. I have reseated all of the orange cables carefully to ensure they are seated correctly. Once powered, I get a solid blue light on the PS1Digital board that does not change. No change to the issue. It outputs an image seemingly stuck in an interlaced mode and I cannot bring up the PS1Digital OSD and I can't get any button combination to do anything. I feel like I have a $500 door stop right now.:(PS1install1.jpgPS1install2.jpgPS1install3.jpg

Last edited:

futurevoid

Does the analog output work? Is the color fine on that?
Hello!
Thank you for the response.

Good question and I had forgotten about the analog output entirely. I just tested it and it works fine. No issues. It outputs the seemingly correct 240p signal to the OSSC (see the attached image) via SCART to a Bandridge SCART switcher I had lying around.

For clarity, when connecting via HDMI, the colors look fine. You can just tell the image is stuck in some type of interlaced mode as you can see the "jumpiness" or flickering of lettering in the X-Station menu and its obvious in 240p titles as the image flickers like mad as if it were 480i. Along with that, I can't bring up the OSD at all as I had mentioned. It only registers the in-game command. The command to switch to VGA does nothing either.

analog.jpg

Last edited:

Junkman707

Is the thermal pad still there? It was not in the picture; I am assuming it is still attached to the underside of the metal plate.
Reseating the flex cable for the controller might get you back to the OSD, from your picture it does not look like it is in all the way (green arrow) when compared to the Audio flex (blue arrow)
PS1install3_Notes.png

futurevoid

Is the thermal pad still there? It was not in the picture; I am assuming it is still attached to the underside of the metal plate.
Reseating the flex cable for the controller might get you back to the OSD, from your picture it does not look like it is in all the way (green arrow) when compared to the Audio flex (blue arrow)
View attachment 193
Hi,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, the thermal pad is there but stuck to the metal plate as you had assumed. I moved it back over the chip in the image. I reseated the flex cable for the controller but it does not go in much further than whats already in the image. Any additional pressure will bend the ribbon cable and possibly damage it.

No change. Same situation.

Junkman707

As long as the thermal pad is attached to either the IC or metal plate it is fine.
Do you have a multimeter and the abililty to check if there is continuity at the connector side on the PS1Digital to the PS1 side (Carefully)?
This is a picture of one of my installs.
PS1Digital_Flex_Controller.png

futurevoid

So I sent the unit back to @iFixRetro and he confirmed the issue is with the PS1Digital. He swapped in another unit into my PSX and verified it was working. Put the old unit back in and it’s doing the same thing no matter what. I ordered a new PS1Digital in this most recent batch @citrus3000psi put up on the store and am having him do the install again but man, it sucks being out $160 plus further install costs on failed hardware.:(