Issues after upgrading firmware from 1.3.3 to 1.4.3

dryja123

Hello,

I just recently upgraded my PS1 Digital from 1.3.3 to 1.4.3 and noticed some issues after upgrading. When launching a game from the xStation, the video would lose signal for a second after the game fully loaded. It would then show a quick image of the game and lose signal again for another second. After that the 2 quick interruptions video signal would be perfectly fine. I never noticed this behavior before the firmware upgrade so I thought it was odd. I checked to make sure that I had all hearts still in the Test/Info screen and I did.

I wanted to validate if this was an issue with my hardware / firmware so I flashed up a second PS1 Digital that I had just finished installing for a friend. I flashed that kit up from 1.4.0 and the new firmware jumped to 1.4.6..... I thought that was odd, since I saw 1.4.3 was the latest release in a tweet, so I went to update my firmware on the PS1 that was giving me issues. I could not get my PS1 Digital to connect to WiFi anymore.

I tried re entering my credentials, which didn't work. I tried connecting my kit to my phones hotspot, that didn't work. Finally, I connected my PC to the PS1 Digital access point and connected to the web UI. I ran the check command and saw that there was a new ESP firmware. I also noticed that the ESP firmware in installed, staged, and official were all different (see screenshot below). It looks like for some reason the firmware in staged never installed when I upgraded the firmware from 1.3.3 to 1.4.3. I tried running the flash command in the web UI but I kept getting Error 19.

I looked through the forums and saw another thread that linked to one of Dan's comments that said to run the cleanup command in the web UI. I did that and rebooted the PS1 Digital. I was able connect to wifi so I tried the upgrade process again. I went to the firmware tab in the OSD and it was connected to my wifi. I found new firmware, downloaded, and flashed it. The FPGA got a checksum error but the ESP and game.db downloaded fine. I tried downloading again and the process seemed to freeze, then shot to 100%. Tried flashing again and got checksum errors on everything. I tried downloading and flashing a few times but had no luck. I decided to just give it a reboot.

After the reboot the OSD came up and said I was upgraded to 1.4.6. The random losses of video signal stopped happening when games loaded up from the xStation. My only issue that I'm still having is that I still can't connect to wifi. I was only able to get connected that one time. In the OSD the wifi tab says Q -1 and CH -1.

I still think something is amiss here. I tried running the cleanup from the web UI and rebooting to see if I could recreate what happened earlier. Didn't work. Is there anything I'm missing? Anything else left to check?

Screenshot 2021-03-06 191828.png

Last edited:

dryja123

I also noticed that when I reboot the PS1 from the OSD the screen goes solid green for a second, then reboots.

dryja123

Decided to sleep on it and look at it again this morning. I connected to the PS1D access point and ran the cleanup command from the web UI again. Rebooted the PS1D and it connected to the WiFi. I was able to download and flash the firmware just fine. After the update things seem stable again. I’m still getting a solid green screen for a second when I reboot the console from the OSD but I don’t remember if that was normal. I can live with that.

dryja123

Green screen here too upon resetting via the OSD, but it’s for a split second luckily.

1.4.6 firmware.
I think it’s completely normal behavior. After I got the firmware sorted out on my console I tested the one I put together for my friend a bit more. Same thing, just a temporary green screen when rebooting. It’s nothing to worry about.