A few suggestions for the install guide

CZroe

The official install guide tells you to check for shorts between power and ground using test points on the PS1Digital board. Unfortunately, it tells you to do this just before you connect the board to the console, which would only tell you if it’s shorted to internally on the PS1Digital and not where it is far more likely (soldering FPCs to chip legs).

One of the alternate points for DAT on a PU-20 (PSNee connections) is pointing to pin 2 instead of pin 1.

The step about removing the resistor from the PU-18 says “components” for a singular component. I understand that the PU-20 has multiple components to remove, but the guide reiterates “components” (plural) for both causing some to needlessly hunt for the extra components. Normally that wouldn’t be worth mentioning but I just saw someone who had the same issue as me several months ago: we could barely see the subtle highlight and spent a ton of time looking for the others indicated by the wording, expecting them to be just as difficult. The video cleared that up for me but ironically said that it’s “easy to see,” which definitely was not the case for me. Before seeing others with the same difficulty I assumed the difficulty was just me and my colorblindness. A solid box drawn around the highlighted component would also work. :)

The context suggests that the line “some TVs do like the VGA signal” is meant to say “...do [not] like...” but it asserts itself as being “confirmed” leading some to trust the wrong part.

Regarding that step about the voltage/ground test points: After doing dozens of installs I have also seen the 5v trace fail in the audio flex while the pad was invisibly shorting to a ground via underneath. Because of the failed flex trace and stealth short, I would not have detected it through the PS1Digital’s test points even if it were connected. I found it before connecting by checking every neighboring pin for a short on the audio IC.

Actually, the flex trace for 5v might have been fine until I removed/reinstalled the audio flex to deal with the stubborn ground via (added kapton tape to isolate). Even so, I’ve seen enough audio flex trace failures now to know that it’s a distinct possibility. Heck, the new audio flex also failed, though it was SCLK and not 5v... and then there’s this one with intermittent ground (audio on):

Even Voultar had one with a bad trace recently so I’ve learned to be extremely careful with the audio flex, even going as far as bench testing with bypass power before installing the audio flex. The fragile audio flex means we can’t rely on the test points to tell us if there is a short to ground.