Video lost 5 seconds after boot

SuperCambot

Hello. I finally got around to installing the DCdigital mod yesterday. After getting a video signal with colors missing and checking the test/info screen, I fixed missing solder joints 8-11. I'm getting all colors now but now I lose video after booting up, approximately 5 seconds after boot up each time.

Does this sound like something specific you could point to? Thanks!

Burnz

Hey, I have had an issue like this after doing the fan mod, because I forgot to add an 10k ohm resistor across 5v and tach line.

SuperCambot

Interesting. I did not install a fan mod since I removed the power rail for the disc drive to eliminate hest since I'm using gdemu. I have disconnected and reconnected the existing fan several times during this process. I believe it still spins however. But maybe something came loose. I'll have to double check.

SuperCambot

I looked up the fan issue and it looks like the entire system shuts down if the fan isn't running for some reason. My console stays on, I just lose HDMI signal. I switched to a different dreamcast fan just to make sure. It's strange - 10 seconds and I lose sync.

EDIT: Solved, I think. I noticed a pad on the short white ribbon cable was shifted over. I must have damaged it in my idiocy. I used a spare one and I think I'm all systems go...
It must be related to the fan issue since it connects fan and controller ports to the motherboard.

Last edited:

QuickPaw

Just to put in my 2 cents. While I was adding mods, I had to unplug the fan (with and without the fan mod) a bunch of times. It looks like it was just enough to break loose the soldering points to the white 3 pin connector to the controller board. I re-soldered it, and works good as new again.

NOTE: I also got the automatic shut off if the fan is stopped for a few seconds as well. I had this problem with the fan wire touching the fan blades. So, make sure the fan is cleared of everything.

MadMurdock

Had the same issue with video cutting out several seconds after boot. After reading this post, I decided to check my fan and noticed it was not spinning. The connection must have come loose after reassembly.
This post seems to have solved my issue. Thanks.