No audio

mikinard

PS1 Digital is looking great. Controller inputs are working. There's just no audio. I've gone over the solder joints and everything looks good. Any suggestions?

Glassboy

Having the same issue. Just got my ps1 back from Voultar after having installation done on the Ps1digital and xstation and I’m not getting any audio through hdmi. Analogue audio works though.

Glassboy

Thanks for letting me know. I’m likely going to have to send my system back. The strange this is the modder did my system on a live stream and it appeared to be working fine but somehow during shipping something may have come loose.

mikinard

Yeah, Voultar does good work. If you're comfortable enough with it, open it up and make sure the audio cable is seated right in its clip. I can see that maybe shifting around in shipping

Glassboy

Thats what I figured it would be but I tried re-seating it two different times to no success unfortunately.

RVGTech

It has happened to me many times. In each case the console is fine at first but then I reassemble it or add PSNee or Xstation and lose audio or video. Without power through the audio cable you won't even get video.

It's very delicate. Resoldering does not usually help because the break happens inside the cable layers at the edge of the pad. I've bypassed it on multiple Playstations.

Glassboy

It has happened to me many times. In each case the console is fine at first but then I reassemble it or add PSNee or Xstation and lose audio or video. Without power through the audio cable you won't even get video.

It's very delicate. Resoldering does not usually help because the break happens inside the cable layers at the edge of the pad. I've bypassed it on multiple Playstations.
Is new cable needed then? Thanks for your reply.

bandmo

I am having a similar issue, but get periodic buzzing or static with my sound. The video looks great. I have tried to find bridges in the sound chip, but don’t see any.
I even took the chip off so I could check under the pins for any extra solder. No change.
Will this extra board work with this issue?

bandmo

I am having a similar issue, but get periodic buzzing or static with my sound. The video looks great. I have tried to find bridges in the sound chip, but don’t see any.
I even took the chip off so I could check under the pins for any extra solder. No change.
Will this extra board work with this issue?
I also got no audio. My audio flex doesn't pass a continuity test. Can we get a spare somehow?
Do what CZroe posted. It worked like a charm. No issues with the sound now. I just removed the audio ribbon cable and installed the small board and used a new ribbon.

KylJoy

I already ordered the parts. It seems this is a problem with this flex cable. I was able to find that we can order a replacement set of flex cables for $20 but the issue is likely to repeat and I bought the parts I need for about $12 and this solution is more robust.

bandmo

Anyone have links to the parts above. Possibly an installation video?

uxcell FFC FPC 10 Pin 0.5mm 1mm Pitch to DIP 2.0mm PCB Converter Board Couple Extend Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RS4SCSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8E4SPSCPCC7FZ8NSD4G1

uxcell Flexible Flat Cable, 10 Pins 0.5mm Pitch 150mm FPC FFC Flexible Ribbon Cable for LCD TV Car Audio DVD Player Laptop 5Pcs (A Type) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWTFSG...abc_J3TW3KXFWMKGYTMRYC22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

mmcpaul

uxcell FFC FPC 10 Pin 0.5mm 1mm Pitch to DIP 2.0mm PCB Converter Board Couple Extend Adapter https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RS4SCSG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_8E4SPSCPCC7FZ8NSD4G1

uxcell Flexible Flat Cable, 10 Pins 0.5mm Pitch 150mm FPC FFC Flexible Ribbon Cable for LCD TV Car Audio DVD Player Laptop 5Pcs (A Type) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RWTFSG...abc_J3TW3KXFWMKGYTMRYC22?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Do you happen to have any pics of your installation? Where did you secure the board? Just ordered the parts and going to give this a try later this week.

bandmo

I do not have any pictures. I already sold the system. I believe I placed it on the right side of the ps1digital after protecting surfaces with insulating tape. I secured it with tape as well. Held really well and didn’t have any issues. I’ll likely be doing it that way again for my next installs because it was so much easier than dealing with the tiny audio ribbon. It isn’t as “clean” looking, but doing it this way would have saved me hours of time trying to find shorts and reflowing solder.

mmcpaul

10P 0.5mm FFC/FPC breakout with an appropriate 10P cable would facilitate connecting to these alternate points on a PU-18:
View attachment 171
View attachment 172
So I see that you have 2 different spots here with the number '2'. Can you get 5 volt from either of these spots? Do the green, blue, red and yellow locations also get soldered to the cable adapter or are they supposed to be jumpers from the audio chip to the locations you have marked on the board?