No audio or video signal after unsuccessful firmware 1.5.1 update attempt

dmp85

I bought a modded PS1, with xStation/PS1Digital/power supply recap, off a seller on eBay recently and everything was working great today when I started checking it out. It was on a previous firmware (1.4.2) so I went to update it. The download went smoothly but when I went to flash it I got the checksum error. I tried multiple times without any success and gave up for the time being so I exited out. Then the screen went black and completely cut out. Now when I power it on I no longer receive any audio or video. I contacted the seller and they directed me here. Is anyone able to help?

Vorenge

I ran into that issue yesterday also after successfully installing mine and playing it for hours, I decided to update the firmware and it crashed. I sent a question in, but instead of being able to be patient for the response, I didn't sleep last night searching everywhere for the fix. My PS1D is now fully operational again! (y)

Here is what I did to fix mine on WINDOWS (manual install files):
[Only do this if your PS1digital worked before an update, do at your own risk, and read all both here for what worked for me and on chriz2600 GitLab pages referenced below before attempting]

Note: Always omit parenthesis when pasting something

1. Check to see if you can access the ps1digital through wifi. You may not be able to see your screen on HDMI, but turn on the PS1 anyway and after waiting a few seconds, press L2 + start + square + triangle + X + O to enter IAP (Installer Access Point) mode. It may be possible to still see your PS1 through the AV port over composite, but you likely won't be able to bring up the PS1D interface. Christof has the full usage information here: Installers.md · master · chriz2600 / xhdmi-tools · GitLab Try to connect to the PS1 digital on your PC wirelessly. If you can see on your computer the wireless access point , or WiFi SSID: "PS1Digital-Install", you should be able to manually upload and flash the firmware to fix the issue. The default password is: "installme!"

2. If you were able to connect to your PS1D, turn off your PS1 and connect back to your wifi if you're wireless . Download XHDMI-TOOLS from Releases · chriz2600 / xhdmi-tools · GitLab (the one I used is named xhdmi-tools_1.7.4_windows_amd64.tar.gz). After, you will also need to download the firmware files from here: README.md · master · chriz2600 / xhdmi-tools · GitLab
a. download each of the 3 files on that page under the Procedure heading (copy each https location without the parenthesis and paste in another browser tab to download). You should get 3 files: fpga-firmware.rpd, esp-firmware.bin, esp.index.html.gz​
3. Unzip your xhdmi-tools_1.7.4_windows_amd64.tar.gz and extract the files and place them into a simple a simple named directory folder. On my PC, I just put all the files I needed into a folder I called "A". You will also need to move the 3 firmware files you downloaded into your "A" (or whatever you named yours) folder.
a. After you move your files into the "A" folder, open your command prompt. Click the Windows logo and just start typing the word: "Prompt". Click on Command Prompt once it appears. When command prompt is open you will need to access the folder where you placed your 3 files. So in my case, I typed in: "cd\a". This should change your prompt path to the a folder you created earlier. DO NOT close the Command Prompt.​

4. Turn on your PS1 again and after waiting a few seconds, access the IAP mode again by simultaneously pressing L2 + start + square + triangle + X + O

5. Connect to your PS1digital again through your computer connecting again to the PS1D. SSID: "PS1Digital-Install" Password: "installme!"

Upload the firmware files to your PS1D. To do this if your computer connected to your PS1D, you will need to type in the commands as referenced under Procedure part 2 from README.md · master · chriz2600 / xhdmi-tools · GitLab
Just copy and paste these three lines into your Command Prompt window one by one. You will need to wait for each file to upload before proceeding - and be patient! The .bin file will take much longer to upload than the others, just wait until it shows its been completed. For example, paste: "xhdmi-tools console fw upload fpga-firmware.rpd fpga" and hit enter, wait until completed, then paste "xhdmi-tools console fw upload esp-firmware.bin esp", wait until completed, then paste "xhdmi-tools console fw upload esp.index.html.gz index" and wait until completed.

7. Flash the firmware as directed by Procedure part 3 on Christof's gitlab. In your Command Prompt, paste: "xhdmi-tools console fw flash". You will see a very familiar looking update screen as your computer flashes each file to the PS1D.

8. Restart with the new firmware. Type: "xhdmi-tools console reset" into your Command Prompt and your PS1 will reboot.

That's it. After I did that, my PS1 Digital is now operational again and on the latest firmware. I just put this information together from memory and I'm tired, but hopefully this helps someone else get their PS1D working again or at least points them in the right direction should they experience a firmware update error that corrupts their PS1D.

dmp85

Thank you for your reply. I got up to step 6 regarding the command prompt and all I got was either "The system cannot find the path specified." or "(...) is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file." I followed your instructions by creating a folder entitled 'A', which I have under Documents, but couldn't progress any further with these error messages. Is there something else I should be typing in the command prompt instead based on where I have the folder located in this case?

Vorenge

If you got to step 6, that at least tells you that it should be able to fix your PS1D the same way I fixed mine. My “A” folder was in my root (C) directory and not in documents, but I can’t see that making a big difference if you have all the files in the same folder; however the paths may be a bit peculiar for anyone not familiar using the command prompt to navigate. You might try taking out of the my docs folder and moving it just to your C drive and to an A (or whatever you call yours) folder and then accessing the files from there. All files that you downloaded will need to go into that A folder. Copy and paste the commands into the Command Prompt to ensure they’re typed correctly.
Glad you made it this far though. I think you can fix it. Also, make sure your WIFI is connected to your PS1D before attempting to upload files, if that connection isn’t active or has connectivity issues, it won’t work.

Redsharkx

I bought a modded PS1, with xStation/PS1Digital/power supply recap, off a seller on eBay recently and everything was working great today when I started checking it out. It was on a previous firmware (1.4.2) so I went to update it. The download went smoothly but when I went to flash it I got the checksum error. I tried multiple times without any success and gave up for the time being so I exited out. Then the screen went black and completely cut out. Now when I power it on I no longer receive any audio or video. I contacted the seller and they directed me here. Is anyone able to help?
This exact same thing happened to me today after a successful install. I was able to play the games via the Xstation just fine, however when I tried to update the firmware the PS1 digital did not correctly retrieve the information. After I backed out of the update screen, I was kicked to a black screen and was never able to view the games via the digital method. I can still view the games going trhough the analogue route so I know that is still functioning correctly. I attempted to follow Vorenge's instructions to rectify the issue but to no avail. Were you able to get this issue resolved by another method or did his work?