Low Voltage on 5.5V Rail?

ohpoorpup

Hey all, I'm sorta at a loss here. My xStation was damaged by an extender so I took the opportunity to go through and redo my soldering, just to be certain. I also reworked the audio flex, since I was concerned I'd done a poor job. Once I ensured there were no bridges or poor joints on the xStation, I went to turn it on, only to hear a pop upon inserting the power cable. Checking all the fuses and finding them in good shape, I checked the power rails on the PS1Digital.... the 3.3 rail is perfect but I'm getting around 1.96 on the Audio rail. I replaced the audio flex and I'm getting the same. Any ideas as to what could be blocking voltage on the 5.5V line? Should I rework the xStation? Recap the console?

Thanks.

dodgysolder

I am having a similar issue as well and also have an Xstation. Although my problem is the 3.3v power. I think the pop you heard though is normal for the power supply. It is noticeable on several of the PS1s I've worked on so far when plugging them in.

Have you checked that all is fine when using the console with the composite cables?

ohpoorpup

In my case the issue was a blown fuse that was blocking voltage, keeping it lower than specifications. It might be worth checking the voltages on your fuses against a service manual to make sure everything's good.

dodgysolder

Glad it's working for you and was a fairly simple fix! Unfortunately the fuse doesn't seem to be my issue. Unless there's a fuse I'm missing that isn't one of the 5 near the controller connection or the one on the PSU - do you know?

I checked them for continuity from page 5 of this unofficial manual