Connected Psnee wires and PS1D no longer outputs video

Milo22

My PS1D is no longer outputting video after connecting the psnee wires. Analog Video/audio works perfectly. I'm just getting a pulsing light on the PS1D. I also tried disconnecting the wires and I get the same behavior

Maka8295

Perhaps you bumped one of the flexes when installing the wires and now theres a poor connection? It could be a 5V power issue according to the install guide (because the LED is turning on). Check the 5v test point and continuity on the GPU and Audio flexes. A 5v issue can be caused by a bridge or short on the audio flex.

Milo22

Okay so finally getting back to this. I have no bridges or shorts on the audio flex. I measured voltage at the 5v point the audio flex uses on the PS1 motherboard and I get 4.9v. I tested 5v behind the audio flex connector on the PS1 Digital and I get between 2v and 2.5v...

Also I am not able to see the test screen when I hold the reset button.

Maka8295

It might be a bit tedious, but on both the flexes check continuity from the legs on the chips to the connection at the end of the flex. Maybe all the heat that was put into the GPU flex has broken one of the connections?

Edit: Focus on V-sync and H-sync the first two connections on the left of the GPU flex, there are also two other important connections that dan mentioned in his video on the right side, I forgot their names :p

Last edited:

Milo22

It might be a bit tedious, but on both the flexes check continuity from the legs on the chips to the connection at the end of the flex. Maybe all the heat that was put into the GPU flex has broken one of the connections?

Edit: Focus on V-sync and H-sync the first two connections on the left of the GPU flex, there are also two other important connections that dan mentioned in his video on the right side, I forgot their names :p
I think we are straying away from an issue here. 5v has a problem. It may be why I'm not getting the test screen. 3.3v is fine.

Maka8295

For what its worth, I don't get the test screen when holding down reset either and mine seems to be working fine. Are you certain that the PSNEE wires were done correctly? Maybe if you get those wires wrong it could damage the PS1D board? If not, then the issue would have to be with the flex cables if the ps1 motherboard is otherwise okay.

EDIT: I feel the need to point out that I'm just a novice, take everything I say with a grain of salt! Just trying to help.

Last edited:

Milo22

For what its worth, I don't get the test screen when holding down reset either and mine seems to be working fine. Are you certain that the PSNEE wires were done correctly? Maybe if you get those wires wrong it could damage the PS1D board? If not, then the issue would have to be with the flex cables if the ps1 motherboard is otherwise okay.

EDIT: I feel the need to point out that I'm just a novice, take everything I say with a grain of salt! Just trying to help.
I'm a novice as well and I appreciate the help. That being said I made a small jumper for 5v and it fixed the issue. The PS1D came right up with no issues. I updated the firmware. I then decided to resolder the PSNEE wires and try again. This time everything booted up but I keep getting an "insert playstation disc" message. My jumper didn't stay attached however so I'm just not going to bother with that. I need a new audio flex obviously. Once the audio flexes are in stock again I'll have my xstation. No need to get psnee working.

Maka8295

Nice! I'm glad that you got it working again :) I think Dan already has spare audio flex cables for sale on his site. Just as chriz is saying, the old firmware often would give the "insert playstation disc" message, you just needed to restart a few times until it booted. With the new firmware its all working perfectly now!