CDROM drive not working

agi

Hi Everyone!

I installed the PS1 Digital mod and I get video and audio signals just fine, looks amazing! I have a puzzling problem though: the CD drive won't work, the CD doesn't spin and the laser doesn't seem to move either. I tested the drive on a unmodded PSX and it works just fine, so the drive is OK.

I measured the voltage between pin 11 and pin 2 of the cdrom flex and I get about 1.5V, not sure if that helps.

Any ideas of what I could check to see what went wrong?

I want to mention that I messed up the controller flex (didn't get connection from one pad) so I don't have that part connected at all (the controller works though). Probably not related but guess I would mention it.

Thanks!

agi

Figured I would mention that the CD drive worked fine before the mod. PSX 5501 PU-18, verified 5V and 3.3V on the PS1Digital board.

Last edited:

CZroe

Maybe time for an Xstation? ;)
It’s easy to accidentally touch the laser when disassembling/reassembling so definitely give it a clean. Also, the PS1Digital is a bit of extra load which can sometimes manifest problems if a marginal PSU is pushed past the tipping point. You might start to see other issues you didn’t have before, like difficulty reading discs. A PSU recap may be in order.

agi

I did some more poking and looks like there's a short somewhere. I have a dead fuse, tried to replace it and it blew again. In the end I decided to buy a new flex packet and do the mod on a new psx which works flawlessly :)

Msg91b

Hi @agi I am having the same issue :(

Was the dead fuse on the Ps1digital? Or on the actual Ps1? Which fuse was it?

For me the cd spins and laser moves but it's not reading disks. Only error I get is "Please insert Playstation CD-ROM"

Vorenge

You can continuity test the fuses with a multimeter. They are little black rectangular boxes that are typically marked 50, 20, 15. It won’t be the one marked 50, however as an FYI, that is the one that will usually blow if you don’t check for bridged connections (as per the directions) and power on your PS1digital before correcting a bridge issue. I don’t have my service manual in front of me, but I think the fuses were something like 2.3 Amp, 1 Amp, and .5 Amp, but you can check the web to be sure.

Also, if you have the optional PSNEE connected, make sure you use the latest firmware, because one of the previous versions that your unit may have been shipped with (or you updated to) had an issue if the PSNEE was connected, original games and backups would not load and you’d get an insert disc screen.

Msg91b

Well the good news is that all of the fuses that I found had continuity!

But the bad news is my cd drive still doesn't work :(

I do not have the PSNEE connected but that is good to know.

I spend a lot of time last night adjusting the laser pot with no luck but maybe I should spend more time today to see if any additional adjustments will bear fruit. Failing that I might need to buy a new ps1 to test my drives on and/or do the install there. Bummer. Was super excited that I didn't fuck anything up on the install then found out I couldn't play any games :cry:

marryohan

On my system, the full reset within the PS1Digital menu hangs at the second boot screen. It has the "Playstation" text but is missing the color PS logo above the text. Short reset works. I'm curious to see if you'll have this problem too. https://shoppingsignature.shop